Monday, March 27, 2006

GO STRAIGHT TO TRIAL WITHOUT A LAWYER!!!!

WHAT'S HAPPENING AT MUNICIPAL COURT????????

Many court insiders are secretly whispering in the city of Houston's Municipal court. So what are they saying? I can't believe he's doing that again. They're referring to Municipal Judge Steven Kirkland. Some say the judge is going too far by allegedly forcing some traffic ticket defendants into trials without an attorney. The Insite received a call (Court insiders have given defendants my number because of previous problems with the judge) Monday morning from a traffic court defendant claiming when he arrived in courtroom #8 without legal representation Judge Kirkland told them him he had to go to trial that day even if he didn't have a lawyer. About a month ago the Insite showed up with cameras when the judge was reportedly forcing another defendant into trial with counsel...The judge backed down and gave the driver a deal. This time I'm not able to get over to the court because I'm stuck covering Enron. So I placed a call to council member Ronald Green, who oversees the courts, about this situation. I haven't heard from him just yet. But other judges in the courts are also asking why Kirkland allegedly continues to violate the civil rights of some defendants by attempting to force them into a trial without legal representation. We'd love to hear the other side from officials with Municipal court.

UPDATE: CITY COUNCILMAN RONALD GREEN CONFIRMS THIS POST HAS RESULTED IN AN INVESTIGATION AT MUNICIPAL COURT ON THIS ISSUE...THE PRESIDING JUDGE BERTHA MEJIA SHOULD BE GETTING BACK TO THE INSITE IN THE NEAR FUTURE WITH THE RESULTS...

Sixth Amendment - Rights of Accused in Criminal Prosecutions: "...and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 PM

    Great story Isiah, please update us on this. Its truely amazing this is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:42 AM

    this judge is completely out of control. i've been in his court before and the only way i can describe him is asshole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:47 PM

    I want an investigation into why that guy feels the need to unbutton his shirt in public.

    ReplyDelete